Meet Captain Fanplastic!
Join Captain Fanplastic and the Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation at Workshop17 at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town for a 2 hour storytelling and craft experience for children aged 6-12 year olds or join us virtually from the comfort of your home.
Join in person @V&A Waterfront or virtually – make sure that you book the correct ticket for this workshop
THE WORKSHOP STRUCTURE – 2 hour story-time and craft:
- 40 minutes – meet Captain Fanplastic and watch him tell the story
The Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation team in Cape Town will join in at the storytime event to delight the participants with some of their turtle tales. As Captain Fanplastic’s best friend is Fin the turtle, you will learn a lot about the marine environment.
- 10 minutes – plastic awareness and easy exercises to understand the value of plastic
- 40 minutes – make and decorate your own turtle (the captain’s best friend is a turtle called Fin) Working with used plastic bottles the captain and his team will show you how to make your very own and to learn more about turtles from our friends at
- 30 minutes – treasure maps – the pirates code- colour in worksheets and questions and answers
A NOTE TO PARENTS & EDUCATORS
Education plays a vital role in developing future generations who will have a sense of custodianship and heightened awareness about their role in the environment. During this unprecedented time of education crises, encouraging children to read is one of the biggest gifts that can be given them as they learn about the world around them.
Our goal is to bring The Legend of Captain Fanplastic to as many young learners as possible in order to teach vital environmental literacy and develop an understanding about the impacts of plastic pollution and what can be done to prevent it. Pirates are called pirates because they RRRRR and the storytime will enthrall the young learners as they embark on the quest to find out how the captain got his name and what the quest for true treasure entails.
MORE ABOUT CAPTAIN FANPLASTIC
Captain Fanplastic aims to raise environmental literacy and education about the importance of the 5Rs in the approach to plastic: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose and Recycle. #NoTrashButTreasure
- Drive behaviour change through the distribution of the sponsored book The Legend of Captain Fanplastic to children who participate in the workshop
- Teach the impact of plastic waste and how to relook at how waste is disposed of and how the 5 Rs can be applied
- Inspire individual clean ups by using the CFP Treasure map. Plastic collected can be given to the Maker Station to create something useful
- Incentivising photo proof of collection with sponsored prizes
- Every enrolled pirate/participant will receive a CFP book
We look forward to an amazing story time and makers experience with you and your child which we believe will raise environmental literacy and inspire positive behaviour change.
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR OPEN DESIGN AFRIKA
Open Design Afrika is determined to keep this platform free of charge and accessible to everyone. If possible, we would appreciate your support by making a donation to Open Design Afrika NPO. Your donation will enable our team of change-makers to continue our valuable work in democratising the sharing of knowledge, participation and skills development so that we can unlock and ignite greater Afrikan solutions and new aspirations to build thriving futures. Please use the provided QR code if you want to make a donation. The ODA Team thank you for your support.